Product pictures

hi all, is there a way to add a product photo to products? I could have sworn I saw some demo of OB somewhere that showed that, but can’t find the feature

First step would be to configure an uploads directory under a temporary directory, your home directory or within the Tomcat home directory. This is just a temporary directory used to store uploaded files until they are processed.

For example, on Windows you might add the following to openboxes-config.properties

openboxes.uploads.location = c:\users\jmiranda\uploads

On Ubuntu, I’d add the following:

openboxes.uploads.location = /home/jmiranda/uploads

Once that is done, restart the server.

And actually, I might be wrong. You might already have the default uploads directory working since you were able to perform inventory imports. In either case, this will allow you to customize your uploads directory in case you encounter any issues with the default or if you just want to make sure you set it to a directory that you have full control over.

And here’s a video demonstrating the process to upload an image.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PFCGyYHBYhT01ISfZWeMLNCQ7vpP0ZJZ/view

The general procedure

1. Locate the product
  2. Edit Product
  3. Go to Documents tab
  4. Enter a URL or choose a local file
  5. Click the Upload button

thanks, that worked like a charm. Stupid question though… is there an in depth user manual for OB? I see all kinds of documentation on how to install it, but other than the video tutorials, I’m not finding a lot to teach me how to use OB. I want to learn to be a super user, but figuring out from scratch is slow :slight_smile:

At the moment I am trying to figure out simple stuff like how to configure it for taking things from the warehouse for internal jobs - ie for use by our field teams. And it’s a slog since i am clueless lol

thanks, that worked like a charm. Stupid question though… is there an in depth user manual for OB? I see all kinds of documentation on how to install it, but other than the video tutorials, I’m not finding a lot to teach me how to use OB. I want to learn to be a super user, but figuring out from scratch is slow :slight_smile:

That is actually a great question. One that unfortunately has a multi-part, less-than-satisfying answer.

a) The most promising answer is that we’ve received funding for a project (Push Button Deployment & New User Onboarding) that will help us revamp our user / developer documentation as well as create a more streamlined on-boarding wizard to help users get started. That project will be started in January and we’ll be publishing the documentation as it becomes available.

b) The lack of documentation (and time to write documentation) was one of the main reasons I implemented this Discourse discussion forum. I realized that no matter how good or bad the documentation was, people would still have questions. Since I didn’t have time to write exhaustive user documentation that answered everyone’s hypothetical questions, I figured that Discourse would be a good way of eliciting the most important questions, answering those on-demand and most importantly sharing them with the broader community.

We’re working to provide tutorials for all features, but we’re recording those as part of implementation projects and sharing those with the community. One thing that would be helpful to get from you would be a list of requirements and/or standard operating procedures (SOPs) that you’re looking to implement. From there, we can record tutorial videos recommending the proper configuration and features to use.

c) In general, part of the problem with writing documentation for all potential users is that there’s not one set of instructions that’ll apply to everyone. So while we’re working on documentation for the generic user, you should consider writing your own SOPs as well. With that said, there needs to be a guide to help superusers, like you, figure out how to train themselves on the system so they can develop those SOPs. And we are hoping that will be the artifact from point (a) above.

There’s a user guide that was written by one of the organizations that uses OpenBoxes, but it’s outdated and specific to their standard operating procedures (SOPs). I doubt you would find it useful, but I can check with them to see if they would be willing to share it.

At the moment I am trying to figure out simple stuff like how to configure it for taking things from the warehouse for internal jobs - ie for use by our field teams. And it’s a slog since i am clueless lol

I hear you. You’re not clueless. It’s a daunting task to work with software with no documentation and I apologize that it’s not been a priority for me up until this point. Fortunately, we have some concrete plans to make the documentation and tutorials better and we’d be thrilled for you to give us feedback as we move the project forward.

ok cool, well then considering that i am not reinventing the wheel… i will list what i’m trying to accomplish in my workflow and maybe another user here can school me on what i should be doing. I will do this in another thread. Thanks!

Need to efficiently do this for 35,000 products. Is there anyway to import the images using product image links? Import it together with Product Master data. Or any work around?

Unfortunately, there is no feature within OB that would allow you to do that. But it’s a great idea.