Change the destination bin on inbound Stock Mouvements

Hello everyone,

I would like to inquire if there is a way to manually select the destination bin from existing ones, instead of having a new one generated automatically. Are there any configurations or alternative methods to achieve this?

Thank you.

Hi Fawir,

As far as I know there is not a way to do this automatically for every shipment into a location (although maybe developers can weigh in on whether there is a configuration property for receiving). However, when you receive you can absolutely select a different destination bin, either by items or by shipment. On the receiving screen, there is an empty bin location field at the top of the list. This has a dropdown of all the bin locations in your current depot. If you select another bin in that field, it will update the receiving bin for all items in the shipment. Or you can click on the bin location dropdown for any individual item to choose a different bin.
Hope this helps! Let me know if this isnt what you were looking for.

Hi Knagel,
First Thank you for your respond.
I don’t know if I did wrong settings, but I can’t find my list of bins in the current depot.
I did whath have you said, but I got only the generated receiving bin.
see pictures below

Hey,

I have the same issue, is there something wrong in the configuration.?

PS:
I installed OpenBoxes with an empty database (only data from migration script).

Thanks,

Thanks @Zakaria_Elhamri @fawir

:eyes: Investigating …

@fawir By the way, I see from your screenshot that you are using the French locale. How is that working for you?

It’s still a work in progress but the team (led by PIH’s Manon Woringer) has completed about 63% of the French translations within the application!!

… with more languages on the horizon!

Alright so here’s a video of my investigation.
https://watch.screencastify.com/v/gSf2Z6VJjrMG0lRyfwOt

The app uses a request to the following Internal Locations API in order to populate the Bin Location dropdown

https://<serverName>/openboxes/api/internalLocations/receiving?location.id=<currentLocation.id>&locationTypeCode=BIN_LOCATION&locationTypeCode=INTERNAL&shipmentNumber=<shipmentNumber>

The criteria for this query are:

• Locations that are active
  • Locations that were created under the current location
  • Locations with location type where location type code is either BIN_LOCATION or INTERNAL

If your internal locations fit the above criteria let me know so we can create a bug ticket and continue to investigate.

1 Like

I can help with German and Dutch translations if help is needed!

1 Like

@jmiranda Thank you for your work, I would be happy to help you with French translation.

1 Like

I have almost the same issue, and I also started with an empty database. I can select locations with type BIN_LOCATION but not the one with typ INTERNAL.

As shown in the screenshot, there is an active location called “EG - Receiving” with the “Receiving” Type (INTERNAL) and below there is the automatically generated bin. Same settings, however I cannot select EG as receiving bin. The other bins do show up for me though…

Hello, @jmiranda,

I wanted to provide an update regarding the issue. After following your suggestions, I checked the API endpoint responsible for populating the Bin Location dropdown. Unfortunately, I’m still encountering a problem as the data returned by the endpoint is empty.

Here is a screenshot of the response I received when accessing the endpoint:

I’m unsure about the root cause of this issue. Could you please let me know if you made any overrides or modifications in the openboxes-config.groovy file that differ from the default settings?

Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks for the followup.

Can you provide a screenshot of the Bin Locations tab for that location (presumably the current location)?

In the meantime, I’m going to set up a blank instance and see what it takes to get these internal locations returned by this endpoint.

Justin

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to provide the informations. I appreciate your assistance.

Here is the image showing the Bin locations associated with the location:

Ok thank you!

Once we figure out what’s going on with the missing locations, you can disable the creation of these “dynamic” receiving locations (assuming you don’t want them) by adding the following line to openboxes-config.groovy.

openboxes.receiving.createReceivingLocation.enabled = false

On a side note, we have plans for improving the “receiving” and “putaway” features to support mobile workflows and implement automatic slotting algorithms so you don’t need to manually choose the “bin” or “receiving” location yourself.

In fact, we made a few improvements within a “fork” of OpenBoxes last summer (for a short-term implementation) that allows you to configure a slotting algorithm for each warehouse. In this instance, we implemented a very basic algorithm (“slot to the closest free space in the warehouse”). But, my thought was that we’d be able to expand this to include more complex criteria like weight, dimensions, classification, etc. We also built a proof-of-concept mobile application for this implementation that allows a user to receive one item (pallet) at a time using a barcode scanner like a Zebra device.

I’m very excited to migrate those changes from the fork to our core OpenBoxes repository. And we’d be very happy to solicit feedback and requirements for any improvements you’d like to see in current and/or future functionality.

Can you check to see if your receiving location types (i.e. Receiving) have the RECEIVE_STOCK supported activity?

Bin Locations should not have RECEIVE_STOCK as a supported activity unless you want to allow single-step putaway.

1 Like

@jmiranda, @knagel, I sincerely appreciate your valuable support. I’m delighted to inform you that the problem has been successfully resolved by making edits to the supported activities.

Thank you both once again for your assistance throughout this process.

Dear @jmiranda,

I hope this message finds you well. First and foremost, I wanted to express my gratitude for your help. I wanted to let you know that the solution you provided worked perfectly for me as well! :smile: Thank you so much for your assistance!

On a related note, I noticed that you mentioned your work on the slotting algorithm, which has piqued my interest. I would be delighted if you could kindly direct me to the branch or location where I can find your work on this fascinating topic. I am eager to learn more and explore the insights you’ve gained through your research.

Once again, thank you for your invaluable assistance, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Warm regards,

Hey @Zakaria_Elhamri Thank you for the feedback.

Regarding the slotting algorithm, I will start a new thread to continue that discussion.